Featuring

If you would like to ADVERTISE for a flat rate per month on this blog, contact: familytracker@yahoo.com


If you are interested in buying any of the items from the site, click on the link to the items and we get a portion of the sale. Thank you.

Friday, August 19, 2022

Cemetery Project




 After my recent visit to the Tyler Cemetery in Roxbury, NY, I realized that both the Tyler and the Vandemark Family Cemeteries need the same kinds of cleanup.  So, foolish me, I've decided to try to make that happen.



A while ago, I started a GoFundMe account to get some assistance with the usual expenses of family history research: expensive memberships in web sites like Ancestry.com, memberships in historical and genealogical societies, supplies, computer hardware and software upgrades, travel expenses, postage, fees for documents (New York State now charges $22 dollars for a genealogical copy of a document.  But, now that I se what needs to be done in these 2 little cemeteries, I think it's better if I dedicate the GoFundMe to that until they're finished.

I will post a running record of the projects here so everyone involved can see what's happening.  More on that in a bit....


The One-Name Studies:

Well, I have a bad habit, as you can see of getting involved in a lot of things at once.  So, I haven't done much on either the Beismer One-Name Study, nor the Wormuth One-Name Study.  

  • I've added a few names to the studies and added profiles for them in WikiTree.  
  • I created separate databases for the studies in my genealogy software which it allows me to do.  That way I can keep the information easily identify as part of each study.
  • I joined the Guild of One-Name Studies which is a British organization that specializes in such projects.
  • I identified several unrelated (as far as I know) individuals with variant spellings of the surnames.
  • I collected all the photos I can find in my possession of members of each family to be sure they are digitized and classified.
Much more needs to be done.  I haven't figure out the statistical aspect of the studies yet.  I hate statistics.

The GoFundMe.  

The original purpose was to cover expenses of just doing this research:  memberships, document fees, postage, computer hardware and software upgrades, etc.

Then, there's another project I would like to accomplish which is to enable several historical and genealogical societies to have a public access computer and genealogy software in order to provide a way for people to create a protected family tree to leave at a local organization so future generations can find their family histories and continue the stories.

Now, the 2 Cemetery Projects are a priority but will have an eventual end point when attention can go back to other projects.

Please consider donating.  Even a $1 dollar donation will help.  Thank you.

That's it for now, come back to see how things progress.


                            




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response, please leave your email address.