Featuring

If you would like to ADVERTISE for a flat rate per month on this blog, contact: familytracker@yahoo.com


If you are interested in buying any of the items from the site, click on the link to the items and we get a portion of the sale. Thank you.

Friday, April 14, 2023

Updates and this and that

 I've been very busy, happily busy.  I've been working on both the Beismer Name Study and the Wormuth Name Study.  I started another one-name study, The Swartwout Name Study, because I met a bunch of Swartwouts in a group on Facebook.  I started a one-place study for Rockland, Sullivan County, New York.  I was going to do one for my hometown, Walton, New York, but I realized that a lot of my research has been in Rockland so....

The Beismer Study now has 108 profiles tagged @ WikiTree so I'm going to slow down and go back and look at each profile to be sure they tidy, have basic information and sources before I continue adding more profiles.

The Wormuth Study has 160 profiles added @ WikiTree and I'm doing the same with them; making sure the profiles are up to standards.  In the course of adding profiles to the project, I rediscovered a variant spelling I'd forgotten about, Warmoth.  That means there are probably more spellings out there as well.

Another thing I confirmed today is that the Wormuths that I'm related to are NOT related to the Wormuths in the Mohawk Valley, at least not related to the famous Peter Wormuth in Fort Plain.  The reason I know that is because he had only one son who was killed by Joseph Brant and he wasn't married and had no children.  Now, that Peter and his wife, Anne Failing, had a lot of children, all the rest female and they may be related through other relatives and marriages.  There were also other Wormuths in the Mohawk Valley so more sorting out to do.  That Peter Wormuth because famous because Washington stayed the night at his house, which is no longer standing.  There are a lot of Wormuths and some names the same so keeping people straight is sometimes difficult.  That's why the profiles are helpful; if they have the basic, birth, marriage, death and children, they make it easier to know who's who.

I almost forgot.  In adding Wormuth profiles @ WikiTree to the project, I send quick messages to managers of those profiles letting them know what the sticker on their profile means.  I got an interesting email from one of them who bought a 125 year old house in Seattle and is doing a history of everyone who was ever born, lived in or died in the house.  Among them was the Wormuth whose profile I had contacted her about.

Oh, and, it was necessary for me to adopt quite a few Wormuth (actually Warmouth) profiles that were orphaned.  That means that somebody created a profile for someone and never came back and, eventually, WikiTree purges, I guess, the managers and the profile can be adopted.

The Swartwout Study is new.  There are a lot of members of the Facebook group.  So far we've only added 40 profiles @ WikiTree but there are a lot of them there, it just takes time to add them to the project.

Mark Swartwout, who's in the Facebook group has a couple of web sites about the family that has a lot of history and interesting information:

Swartwout Chronicles

The Swartwout Family

The Rockland One-Place Study is the newest and I just got the pages @ WikiTree set up.  The area is very historic and I found out a lot about the towns already.  I'll be spending some time there this year finding out more.  The project will collect and disseminate information about the town, the village and all the hamlets and will have profiles of individuals who lived and died there.

My computer is on the verge of dying.  I'm getting a decent tax refund so I'm going to buy a new one and maybe a new multifunction printer.  In the meantime, my files are constantly being backed up and I'm going to have somebody look at this computer to see if they can give it a little more life.


There's a lot more to do.

I have got nowhere with the cemetery projects because nobody answers my emails.  Try, try again.

I have not contacted anyone about the genealogy project I want to do with local historical societies.  If anyone reading this is a member of a local historical or genealogical society, I'd like to talk to someone about my idea.  I don't currently have enough money to fund the project I have in mind but....

That's it for now.  Comments would be appreciated.
                                         







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response, please leave your email address.