Featuring

If you would like to ADVERTISE for a flat rate per month on this blog, contact: familytracker@yahoo.com


If you are interested in buying any of the items from the site, click on the link to the items and we get a portion of the sale. Thank you.

Sunday, June 19, 2022

An Interesting Feature

 FamilySearch.org is the Mormon church's genealogy web site.  They have a lot of free records and information about their many genealogy libraries all over the country.  Family history is important to them.

This morning, I got an email from them with an interesting feature they've provided; they combed through members' family trees and found ancestors that were living when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, calculated their ages and sent out emails to members showing that information.  It's quite interesting to see.

The Emancipation Proclamation was issued on January 1, 1863.  This is what they found from my brief family tree posted on their web site:  (The links on the names will take you to their WikiTree profiles)

My great grandmother, Eliza Vandermark, was 13 at the time.  

 


 Her mother, Mary Jane Hogancamp Vandermark, was about 34.


Eliza's father, Simeon Vandermark, was about 41, at the time.

My 2nd great grandfather, Henry Mattice, was about 24.

His wife, my 2nd great grandmother, Georgeanna Dudley, was about 30.

My 2nd great grandfather, Joseph Wormuth, was about 48.


His wife, my 2nd great grandmother, Eleanor Debeck Wormuth, was about 30, then.


My 2nd great grandfather, James Hulse, was about 74.

My 2nd great grandfather, Joseph Odell, was about 2 years old then.


My 2nd great grandfather, Henry Flowers, was 20, and fought in the Civil War.

His wife, my 2nd great grandmother, Martha Hayden Flowers, was 6.  Uh oh, something seems wrong there; but, no, they didn't marry until 1878 when she was 21 and there was roughly 15 years between them.

My 3rd great grandfather, Jacob Mattice, Henry Mattice's father, was about 52.

His wife, my 3rd great grandmother, Mark Parks, about about 53.

My great grandfather, my father's grandfather, Frank Mattice, was 4, at the time.


My great grandfather, my mother's grandfather, Silas Beismer, was about 24.  I'm pretty sure he did not serve during the war.


My great grandmother, my mother's grandmother, Fanny Hulse Wotmuth, was 8.


Her husband, my great grandfather, T. James Wormuth, was 16.


There are more, of course, but I don't put all of my tree everywhere online; mostly at WikiTree.  

I think it's fun to look at this and imagine back then.

I have several ancestors, that I've found so far, who fought in the Civil War for the Union.

Enjoy.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a response, please leave your email address.